EB-2 Visa - Green Card for Degrees, Sciences, Arts, Business
Second Preference, Employment-Based Immigration
- Members of the professions holding advanced degrees or their equivalent
- Exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business
Members of the professions holding advanced degrees or their equivalent
A petition for a foreign professional holding an advanced degree may be filed when the job requires an advanced degree (beyond the baccalaureate) and the alien possesses such a degree or the equivalent. The petition must include documentation, such as an official academic record showing that the alien has a U.S. advanced degree or a foreign equivalent degree, or an official academic record showing that the alien has a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree and letters from current or former employers showing that the alien has at least 5 years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience in the specialty.
Exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business
This classification applies to those "who because of their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business will substantially benefit the national economy, cultural, or educational interests or welfare of the United States." In order to receive this classification, the individual must provide documentation of three of the following:
- An official academic record showing the alien has a degree, diploma, certificate or similar award from a college, university, school or other institution of learning relating to the area of exceptional ability;
- Letters documenting at least ten years of full-time experience in the occupation being sought;
- A license to practice the profession or certification for a particular profession or occupation;
- Evidence that the alien has commanded a salary or other remuneration for services which demonstrates exceptional ability;
- Membership in professional associations;
- Recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the industry or field by peers, government entities, professional or business organizations.
If the above standards do not apply to the petitioner's occupation, other comparable evidence of eligibility is also acceptable.
EB-2 Green Card Visa Application Procedures
A job offer is required and your U.S. employer must file a USCIS Form I-140 Petition for Alien Worker at the USCIS Service Center that serves the area where you will work. The EB-2 Visa is eligible for Premium Processing.
EB-2 Green Card visa petitions must generally be accompanied by an approved, individual labor certification from the Department of Labor on Form ETA-750. Please see the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration for more information.
If you are a worker with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business, you may apply to waive the requirement that you have a job offer if such a waiver would be in the national interest. To apply for a national interest waiver, you must submit Department of Labor Form ETA-750B. Please see the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration for more information.
For more information, return to: Employment Immigration Green Cards