- US Visas & Immigration
Ask a Visa & Immigration Lawyer
US Visa and Immigration Lawyer
Online Now
 letters left
Answers to US visa and immigration questions
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born     The National Association of Foreign-Born
Related Articles
Share This Article:
Click for Overview | See Related Articles box for more topics »

Fiance Visa / Fiancee Visa Application to Marry U.S. Citizen

Application Procedures - Visa to Bring Fiancee to Marry in USA

Fiance Visa Fiancee Visa Application K-1 Visa Apply

International Money Transfer - International Money Order

To apply for a fiance visa / fiancee visa, the US citizen fiance / fiancee must file USCIS Form I-129F (Petition for Alien fiancee) at the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over where you live. You cannot file this petition at a US Embassy, US consulate, or US immigration office abroad. If you live outside the US, contact the nearest US Consulate to find out where to file.

After the USCIS approves the petition, it sends the petition to the National Visa Center for processing, prior to sending it to the US Embassy or US Consulate where your fiance / fiancee will apply for a nonimmigrant K-1 visa (fiance visa / fiancee visa).

The consular section at the US Embassy or Consulate where your fiance / fiancee will apply for the fiance visa / fiancee visa (K-1 visa) will tell you about any additional specific requirements that you need to fulfill to complete the fiance visa / fiancee visa application, such as where your fiancee needs to go for the required medical examination.

During the fiance visa / fiancee visa interview process, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the interview by a Consular Officer.

The following is required:

  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions)

  • Birth certificate

  • Divorce or death certificate of any previous spouse for both you and your fiancee

  • Police certificate from all places lived since age 16

  • Medical examination (vaccinations are optional)

  • Evidence of financial support (USCIS Form I-134, Affidavit of Support may be requested)

  • Two Nonimmigrant Visa Applications, Form DS-156 (a Form DS-156 prepared in duplicate)

  • One Nonimmigrant Fiancee Visa Application, Form DS-156K

  • Two nonimmigrant visa photos (each two inches 50 X 50 mm square, showing full face, against a light background)

  • Evidence of a fiancee relationship

  • Payment of fees

The consular officer may ask for additional information according to the circumstances of the case. Documents in foreign languages should be translated. Take clear, legible photocopies of civil documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, to the interview. Original documents can then be returned to you.

For more information, return to: Fiance Visa - US Fiancee Visa USA (K-1 Visa)

Guides from Our Sponsors
Mortgage GuidesLearn to Study Guide
Health Insurance Plans
Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use. The information provided in this site is not legal advice, is intended to provide basic understanding in summary form, may not be comprehensive, is subject to change, and may not apply to you. Your individual circumstances should be confirmed with the appropriate government agencies or an attorney.
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born
The National Association of Foreign-Born